I hung out with some old and dear friends from home tonight. It was a good time, despite feeling like we've changed and/or grown apart a bit. I had to share this little clip of what happened:
Guy on a Christian TV station: And if you just call the number on your screen, you can sow a financial seed in preparation for the blessings God has in store for you. We have a testimony of a man who chose to sow a $58 seed for each member of his family, for 12 months, believing that God has great blessings in store for each of them. So we encourage you to just call up the number on your screen.
So, my friend decided to call up the number just for kicks. I didn't hear the first part of the convo but then he put it on speakerphone.
Girl: So, we greatly encourage what you are about to do because God has promised to richly bless you.
Adam: Well umm how does this work, how do I give to God?
Girl: Well, we take checks over the phone or credit card-
Adam: But umm what do I do if like, I can't pay my rent, will I still have to pay the $58?
Girl: No, you would then call customer service and have them cancel it for the months that you can't afford to sow the financial seed. Would you like to give to God tonight?
Adam: I would love to give to God, I want to be blessed.
Girl: Well we want you to be blessed too. Can I have a zip code please?
Adam: Well, isn't there a book involved?
Girl: Yes, when you sow a financial seed, there is a book included as a way of showing our appreciation and asking God to bless you.
Adam: Well, good, I'd like God to bless me, I just don't know, 'cause of, you know, the rent, I don't know if I can do it every month.
Girl: Well if you would like, I can give you the mailing address here and you can sow your gift whenever you have the money. Would you like to do that?
Adam: Well, I don't know, I mean, is that easier?
Girl: Sometimes its better for people who are concerned about sowing that regular financial seed of $58 a month.
Adam: But I mean, if I can't pay then how do I cancel it if its in cash like that? I don't know. I don't know if I can pay the rent.
Girl: Well, sir I don't think I can make your decisions for you, but we certainly don't want to ask you to risk your house. You do what you feel God telling you to do.
Adam: Yeah, but I really want to sow my seed. This was a hang-out time for college age kids, and we all made eye contact at this. I will leave you to your own imagination about how capable we were of stifling any reaction from this comment so she wouldn't know she was on speakerphone.
Girl: We would love for you to sow your seed too, because this isn't about us, its about you reaping the blessing from God after feeling release and sowing your seed.
Adam: Can I talk to him on TV?
Girl: Well, I can't promise anything, but I can give you the number to call, and you can talk to him or someone in his office. I'm sure they can also help you in your decision. But tonight (here, she had obviously decided he was too concerned about money and that she wasn't getting any, so she decided to wind up the convo.) why don't you just pray about it and make a decision later when you feel ready?
Adam: Ok, thank you so much.
Girl: Goodnight
When he hung up, he told us about how on another of the Christian channels he (the pastor's son) and two friends (youth counsellors in the church) decided to call one day and "get saved." *sigh* In that sense they haven't changed. I miss them and wish I could hang out with them more. But... there are subtle differences. What's that saying about new friends and old... one is silver, the other gold. Something like that, I don't really remember. I guess what I'm trying to say is. I like silver better but I'm allergic to it, and gold is more valuable. Wait. That's not what I was trying to say. I don't know who's silver and who's gold. But either way, its not the same silver and gold that it was a year or two ago. I think I interact differently with people now. Well anyway. I'm tired and not making much sense, so I'm gonna save the speculation for another day. Night.
Saturday, October 29, 2005
what christians do to amuse themselves
Posted by
arwenundomiel9
at
2:17 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Noone ever leaves comments on your Blog, but I totally had to. I havent laughed that hard in WEEKS!!! Your friends sound awesome.
And, on a more sobering note, it is very frustrating, seeing those Christian "Get saved/blessed by giving money (and funding our ridiculous lifestyles)" television programs. Ah, well. Let's pray that one day they'll learn that they're just repeating history. (The Catholic Church used the same concept- payment for salvation- and this is what sparked the Reformation.) Huh... ok, so maybe studying history is handy, afterall. That way you wont make stupid mistakes like these "Christians"... ::sighs:: they give us a bad rap!
Oh, yeah, if you can't figure out who this Christian history-hating person is, it's Anissa. ::wink::
Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver and the others gold.
Thanks. I couldn't remember that saying.
Post a Comment